Housing, Benefits and Debt advice


“Thanks to LAWRS’ help I was able to find a place to live, my own home, where I can enjoy what matters the most to me, my family. I have also learnt a lot through the workshops, the counselling service and the end of the year celebrations, where I always find a generous and friendly environment” – Monica, Ecuador.


Advice, advocacy and support

We provide advice, advocacy and casework support in Housing, Welfare Benefits and Debts to Latin American women in person (previous appointment or in a Drop-in session), over the phone and via email. We analyze and treat all cases in a comprehensive manner to help Latin American women to address their specific needs and assert their rights.

Housing issues?

Even if you have a roof over your head, you might be homeless. If you, or someone you know, sleeps on a sofa in a friend’s house, lives in a hostel, or in crowded or precarious conditions, please contact us or come to our Drop In sessions. We can advise on how to find suitable accommodation: depending on your personal and economic circumstances, social services can provide a range of services including housing and financial support.

Debt issues?

Many women face large and multiple debts, including penalty fines and problems arising from pay-day loans taken to meet day to day living expenses. We support women to renegotiate debts and gain financial literacy and budgeting skills.

Drop in sessions

Every Monday morning from 9am to 1pm in our Old Street office.

Every Wednesday from 9am to 1pm at Haringey.

Phone advice

Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays 4pm to 5pm. Call 020 73249809.



Relevant information about benefits:
  • Child Benefit https://www.gov.uk/child-benefit/overview
  • Housing Benefit https://www.gov.uk/housing-benefit/overview
  • Pension Credit https://www.gov.uk/pension-credit/overview
  • Working Tax Credit https://www.gov.uk/working-tax-credit/overview
  • Universal Credit will replace the following: income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA), housing benefit, working tax credit, income-related employment and support allowance (ESA) and income support. If you’re already claiming benefits, your local Jobcentre Plus or Tax Credits office will tell you when you have to move to Universal Credit.
  • Last Tweets